7.27.2012

Again

Our family has been struck again, less than a year after our Kristina died, and I am reminded of how much I hate cancer, of how much I hate death



To an outsider, it may not seem quite as much the tragedy as before. This is my Papa, after all, my eighty-six year old grandpa. He is not fighting for the chance to raise his children or wishing for a chance to grow old with his spouse after only a few years of marriage. He has lived a good and full life. 

And yet it is a tragedy. Death itself is a tragedy, and while I am tempted to rail at God against the ugliness of it all, deep inside my heart I know that it is our sin, our rebellion that let death into our world in the first place and it is God's mercy that gave us life again.


Cancer and death are tragedy, they are ugly. For our family, this cancer is as ugly as any other. Yes, there is difference between a twenty-six year old and an eighty-six year old. And yet, I am greedy. 

I am greedy for more time. I want to yell at God, "NO! It is not enough! Thirty-four years with my Papa is not enough. I want more time! I want him to meet this baby growing inside of me. I want all of my children to know and remember him. You did not give me enough time!

All this while stomping my foot like the child that I am.

Yet my heart has been changed through Kristina's struggle and death. I have learned a little more about Who God is and who I am in relation to Him. I have learned about obedience in the midst of the ugly

And I have learned that I have a choice in all of this. I can choose to blame God, letting my anger and grief drive me away from Him, or I can choose to be obedient and thank Him, clinging to Him and letting Him be all that I need.

So at least for today (I know I still have disobedience, some yelling and foot-stomping inside of me for another day), I will choose this:

Thank You, Abba, for the gift of my Papa and my Gram. 


Thank You for giving me so many years with them, years of such close relationship and of so many beautiful times with them.



Thank You for giving them so many talents and abilities and for giving them the desire to teach and share those skills with me.

Thank You for their wisdom, for all that I have learned from them, for all of the wisdom that I now have stored in my own heart.

Thank You most of all for making their hearts like Yours. Thank You for allowing me to see You in them, to see in their lives how You want me to live. Thank You for showing me through them how to live faithfully as a child of Yours, as a spouse and as a parent.

Thank You for the beauty that is their lives. 


Thank You, Abba, for Your grace.

8 comments:

  1. So sorry for your struggle. We were blessed to have 91 years with my Gramma....saying good bye to her was as hard as saying good bye to just about anyone. Peace be with you during this time :0(.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Praying for you as you grieve. You are right. Death is horrible and it was not meant to be this way. Yet, we are greedy.

    Thanks be to God who has promised these days of tears and suffering will one day be ended...

    Emily
    www.weakandloved.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. http://www.weakandloved.com/2011/04/blessed-spring.html

    a little encouragement.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We've lost 6 family members in the past 5 years, all in different ages and stages. We fight so hard against it I think, because this is not the way it was supposed to be. This was not the plan, in the very beginning...and it is so hard to grasp sometimes. Praying for you!
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful and lovingly shared from your heart. This is one of the best gifts you could give Papa....the flowing of your love. You are giving him his flowers now for him to see, feel and "be" in you. Prayers for all of you and with love.

    ReplyDelete
  6. beautiful sentiments that I feel deeply as well. I miss my nanny everyday. The hope that I have of seeing her again is the ugly beautiful ember of death. Thank you for sharing your grandparents with us.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you, all, for your words.

    "E'en so, Lord Jesus, quickly come. Amen."

    ReplyDelete